Project Update-Douglas County Tower Avenue-Superior
Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Northwest Region Eau Claire Office Northwest Region Superior Office
718 W Clairemont Avenue • Eau Claire, WI 54701 1701 N 4th Street • Superior, WI 54880 (715) 836-2891 • Fax (715) 836-2807 (715) 392-7925 • Fax (715) 392-7863
May 17, 2013
For More Information:
Chris Ouellette, Regional Communications Manager (715) 833-9814/828-9471
• Tower Avenue is closed from Belknap Street to 3rd Street during construction operations.
• 3rd Street to Hughitt Avenue will be reduced to a single lane in each direction during
• All intersections that are open to cross street access will be closed to construction except: either Winter Street or Broadway Street will remain open to cross traffic at all times and no two adjacent side streets will be closed at one time between 8th Street to 4th Street.
• Alley access will be maintained at all times during construction.
• A detour route has been set up on US 53 and US 2 (Belknap Street) to reroute WIS 35 (Tower Avenue) traffic.
• Hammond Avenue will have shoulder closures, single lane closures and sidewalk closures during installation of the traffic signals and safety island construction. These impacts are anticipated to be minor and short in duration.
Work completed since last update:
• The Contractor removed existing and installed sanitary sewer mainline between 4th and 6th Street and completed watermain removal and installation between 4th Street and 6th Street.
• Hooked up temporary water services to buildings between 6th Street and Winter Street.
• Completed saw cutting concrete mainline and began removing pavement south of the railroad tracks and is moving south towards Belknap Street.
• An electrical crew began installing conduit at the intersection of Hammond Avenue and Winter Street for the traffic signals.
Anticipated work schedule for the week of: May 20, 2013:
• The contractor will continue installing sanitary sewer mainline from 6th Street to the south and will begin installing watermain from 6th Street to Winter Street.
• The contractor is scheduled to begin installing sanitary sewer and watermain services between 4th Street and 6th Street.
• Depending on the arrival of the storm sewer structures, the contractor may be able to start installing storm sewer beginning on the north end of the project.
• Concrete pavement removal will continue south of the tracks.
Next Weekly Public Meeting: Wednesday May 29 at 2:00 p.m. at the Old Post Office Building, 1401 Tower Ave,
Providing safe and efficient transportation in Ashland, Barron, Bayfield, Buffalo, Burnett, Chippewa, Clark, Douglas, Dunn, Eau Claire, Jackson, Pepin, Pierce, Polk, Rusk, Sawyer, St. Croix, Taylor, Trempealeau, and Washburn counties
# # #
Mission: To provide leadership in the development and operation of a safe and efficient transportation system.