Tower Avenue-Superior Project Update
Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Northwest Region Eau Claire Office Northwest Region Superior Office
718 W Clairemont Avenue • Eau Claire, WI 54701 1701 N 4th Street • Superior, WI 54880 (715) 836-2891 • Fax (715) 836-2807 (715) 392-7925 • Fax (715) 392-7863
July 16, 2013
For More Information:
Chris Ouellette, Regional Communications Manager (715) 833-9814/828-9471
• Tower Avenue is closed from Belknap Street to 3rd Street during construction operations.
• 3rd Street to Hughitt Avenue will be reduced to a single lane in each direction during construction operations.
• All intersections that are open to cross street access will be closed to construction except: either Winter Street or Broadway Street will remain open to cross traffic at all times and no two adjacent side streets will be closed at one time between 8th Street to 4th Street.
• Alley access will be maintained at all times during construction.
• A detour route has been set up on US 53 and US 2 (Belknap Street) to reroute WIS 35 (Tower Avenue) traffic.
• Hammond Avenue will have shoulder closures, single lane closures and sidewalk closures during installation of the traffic signals and safety island construction. These impacts are anticipated to be minor and short in duration.
Work completed since last update:
• Concrete paving (drive lane + bike lane) on Tower Ave has been placed between 6th and the railroad tracks.
• Left turn lanes and parking areas have been placed between 4th and 6th street and curb and gutter was placed in various locations between 4th and 6th Streets.
• The contractor completed sanitary sewer mainline from 12th Street to 13th Street and started installing water watermain from Broadway to 12th Street.
• Storm sewer was installed at Broadway Street and Grit Chambers were installed on 4th and 6th streets.
Anticipated work schedule for the week of July 15, 2013:
• Sanitary sewer is not scheduled to resume this week.
• The watermain crew is scheduled to continue watermain from Broadway to 12th street.
• The storm sewer crew is scheduled to install storm sewer grit chambers at 5th , 7th and 8th Streets.
• The grading crew is going to finish up subcutting and backfilling with subbase and base aggregate at Broadway Street and then they will move back up and finish subcutting the east intersections at 5th 7th and 8th streets after the grit chambers have been installed.
• Concrete is scheduled to be placed in the left turn lanes and parking lanes from 6th street to the railroad tracks and various curb and gutter and intersections will be placed between 4th and 8th streets.
Next Weekly Public Meeting: Wednesday, July 24 at 2 p.m. at the Old Post Office Building, 1401 Tower Avenue.
Providing safe and efficient transportation in Ashland, Barron, Bayfield, Buffalo, Burnett, Chippewa, Clark, Douglas, Dunn, Eau Claire, Jackson, Pepin, Pierce, Polk, Rusk, Sawyer, St. Croix, Taylor, Trempealeau, and Washburn counties
# # #
Mission: To provide leadership in the development and operation of a safe and efficient transportation system.