Work Schedule: Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm (40 hours/week and as needed otherwise).
Starting Salary: The starting salary is approximately $96,034 - $101,379 based on level of education & experience as it relates to the qualifications.
2. Responds to all major alarms in compliance with NIMS/ICS standards.
3. Upholds the Superior Fire Department Mission Statement.
4. Meets with the Mayor, Common Council, Police and Fire Commission, Department Heads, and other officials as necessary.
5. Maintains compliance with all Local, State and Federal reporting requirements.
6. Enforces the provisions of the union working agreement.
7. Seeks out funding sources to support department objectives and future expenses.
8. Directs the maintenance, repairs, improvement and replacement of firefighting equipment, station houses, and all other properties of the department.
9. Implements and maintains modern fire administration practices.
10. Studies the City's growth and general building characteristics and makes recommendations for appropriate service levels and improvements of firefighting efforts and equipment.
11. Directs the training of firefighting personnel in methods of firefighting, emergency medical services, inspections, investigation and use of equipment.
12. Suggests internal policy and organizational and procedural changes in the department, or approves and implements recommendations of subordinate staff.
13. Enforces all policies and procedures of the Fire Department and City.
14. Prepares and manages the Fire Department budget.
15. Identifies and develops strategies in Community Risk Reduction.
16. Plans and participates in emergency response planning exercises.
17. Serves on various boards of the City and Douglas County.
18. Upholds the Firefighter Code of Ethics.
19. Investigates fires of undetermined or suspicious nature.
20. Accepts speaking engagements to foster public safety awareness and public confidence in the department.
21. Prepares specifications for fire equipment purchase and plans for fire stations.
22. Supervises and improves physical and mental health programming for firefighters.
23. Performs other related duties as may be required by the Mayor of the Common Council.
- Modern firefighting methods and equipment and of applicable firefighting practices;
- Rules and regulations of the department and fire prevention laws and ordinances;
- Fire department administration and management;
- Current laws and regulations of providing emergency medical services;
- Hazardous materials federal and state laws and regulations, as well as, other firefighting related laws and regulations;
- City water system as related to fire prevention and hydraulics and chemistry of fires.
- Analyze the effectiveness of the department and correlate its development with changing conditions in the City;
- Plan, assign, and direct the work of a number of subordinate operating units;
- Maintain effective relationships with City officials, subordinates, and the general public;
- Effectively direct the operation of staff and equipment in emergency public safety situations;
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing;
- Perform the physical requirements of the position.
Bachelor or Master degree from an accredited college or university with a major related to public safety administration or Fire Sciences; 15 years of experience in the firefighting field, three of which included supervision of staff in firefighting activities; extensive experience in firefighting, including experience in progressively responsible command positions; completion of formal and advanced training in firefighting and fire department administration which includes National Fire Protection (NFPA) and/or Federal Emergency Management Agency Course (FEMA) in Incident Command, Company Officer Training and Hazardous Material Technician. Formal training in emergency response to terrorism, infection control, NEPA 1521 Fire Department Safety Officer and Fire Department Strategic Planning is desirable at the time of appointment but will be required for completion in the first two years of employment.
Psychological Examination: Must pass a psychological exam for the position prior to hire.