Improvement project on US 2/53 (East 2nd Street) in city of Superior to begin April 5
Work between 29th Avenue East and 53rd Avenue East includes resurfacing road, replacing traffic signals at 39th Avenue East and rehabilitating the Nemadji River and Bluff Creek bridges
To invest in Wisconsin’s transportation system, Gov. Tony Evers has signed a $4.98 million contract for a resurfacing project on US 2/53 (East 2nd Street) from 29th Avenue East to 53rd Avenue East in the city of Superior. Construction is scheduled to begin Monday, April 5.
Chippewa Concrete Services of Chippewa Falls is the prime contractor for the project. The project includes:
During construction, US 2/53 (East 2nd Street) will remain open to traffic, with at least one lane in each direction always open; however:
- Repairing spot locations of concrete pavement.
- Resurfacing East 2nd Street by grinding the concrete surface and overlaying it with asphalt.
- Replacing traffic signals at 39th Avenue East.
- Rehabilitating the Nemadji River and Bluff Creek bridge structures.
- Upgrading or installing curb ramps at pedestrian crossings.
- Making spot repairs to sidewalk panels.
Access will be maintained to properties within the work zone that do not have alternate access available outside the work zone. Access to businesses and residences within the construction area may involve the use of temporary driveways and gravel surfaces.
Construction on US 2/53 (East 2nd Street) is scheduled for completion in October.
To keep informed on the project’s status:
- Motorists should expect lane changes and delays.
- The speed limit in the work zone will be reduced from 35 mph to 25 mph.
- Beginning Monday, the Duluth Transit Authority, in coordination with WisDOT, will begin operating a shuttle between Super One in Superior on East 2nd Street and 23rd Avenue East and Itasca to assist Route 16.
- Route 16 will terminate at 31st Avenue East and 5th Street in Superior.
- All current bus stops along East 5th Street also will continue to be provided service by Route 16.
- Passengers can transfer between Route 16 and the shuttle along East 5th Street between 23rd Avenue East and 31st Avenue East. Transfers from the shuttle to Route 16 will occur predominately at East 5th Street and 23rd Avenue East.
- DTA passengers who use bus stops located on East 2nd Street between 31st Avenue East and 50th Avenue East will be directed to use the closest bus stop along the detour routing.
- For more information, go to duluthtransit.com/home/getting-there/routes-schedules/.
- Starting June 11, work on East 2nd Street will cease between noon and 6 p.m. on Fridays.
- Go to projects.511wi.gov/2-53.
- Attend business meetings set for 2 p.m. every other Tuesday, starting April 13. To participate, call (877) 873-8017 and enter access code 6795973, followed by the pound sign.
- Follow WisDOT’s Northwest Region on Twitter @WisDOTnorthwest.