Wisconsin Statues require that all minors under the age of 18 must have a work permit BEFORE starting work. To ensure compliance and avoid delays, please complete the form below and bring along the required documents before coming to the Chamber Office to obtain a work permit. (Photocopy As Needed)
CHILD LABOR WORK PERMIT INFORMATION FORM
Work Permit Requirements
- A work permit is required before anyone under the age of 18 is allowed to work in any job with the exception of agriculture or domestic service work.
- Employers must have a work permit on file for the minor being employed before they may allow the minor to begin work.
How to Obtain a Work Permit
To obtain a work permit, either the minor alone or the minor and a parent must visit the permit officer, taking with them:
- the minor's birth certificate or other proof of age (see below),
- the minor's social security card
- letter from the employer expressing intent to hire, on employer's regular letterhead, describing:
- job duties,
- hours of work,
- a written parents consent
- a $10.00 permit fee
Proof of Minor's Age
We may accept a valid operator's license or an identification card issued by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation as proof of a minor's age. This means that we may now accept either a duly attested birth certificate, a verified baptismal certificate, a driver’s license or photo ID card issued by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation or passport.
For the Employer - Permit Fee Requirement
The employer must reimburse the $10.00 permit fee to the minor by no later than the date of the first paycheck.
Copies of the permit go to the employer and the minor, in addition to the school district where the minor is enrolled
For more information on frequently asked questions, restrictions, labor standards, etc. visit the State of Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development website.