US 2/US 53 (East 2nd Street) Road Construction Project
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) will be continuing their resurfacing and repairing project of US-2/53 - East 2nd Street in the City of Superior beginning in April 2021. The 2.3-mile project will begin between the intersections of 29th Avenue East and 31st Avenue East and ends just east of the 53rd Avenue East intersection.
US 2 and US 53 (East 2nd Street) 29th Avenue East to 53rd Avenue East in Superior, Douglas County.
WisDOT is currently developing plans to resurface and make improvements to US 2/US 53 (East 2nd Street). The projects will include:
- Spot locations of concrete pavement repair
- Roadway resurfacing with a coarse grind of the concrete surface and then an asphalt overlay
- Replacing traffic signals at 39th Avenue East
- Rehabilitating the Nemadji River and Bluff Creek Bridge Structures
- Curb ramps will be upgraded or installed at pedestrian crossings
- Making spot repairs to sidewalk panels
Due to high traffic volumes, roadway construction has been spread out over a two-year period, 2020 and 2021. The projects will be divided near 31st Avenue East (Nemadji River). The total cost for both projects is estimated to range from $10 to $15 million.
511wi.gov Overview for the US-2/53 Project
Wisconsin Department of Transportation US-2/53 Project Overview Page
Click here for the 2021 schedule and a full contact list.Schedule
39st Avenue East to 53rd Avenue EastConstruction begins April 2021
Tentative completion is October 2021
- East 2nd Street resurfacing Fact Sheet (All projects)
- 29th Avenue East to 53rd Avenue East Traffic and Transit (2nd phase)
- During construction, US 2/US 53 (East 2nd Street) will remain open to traffic; however, traffic may be limited to one lane in each direction. Delays should be expected when traveling the work zone, especially during commuting hours.
- Access will be maintained to properties within the work zone that do not have alternate access available outside the work zone. Access to businesses and residences within the construction area may involve the use of temporary driveways and gravel surfaces.
- A reduction in the number of through lanes on East 2nd Street is expected to result in impacts to traffic travel times and congestion.
- Many of the low-volume side streets will be closed or have reduced access, and traffic will be routed to signalized intersections.
- One accessible crosswalk will be provided across US-2/53 (East 2nd Street) at each intersection: 37th Avenue East, 39th Avenue East, 41st Avenue East, and 50th Avenue East/East 3rd Street.
- Emergency vehicle traffic may utilize alternative traffic routes
- WisDOT, in coordination with the City of Superior and the DTA will provide shuttle services to assist bus passengers in and out of the East 2nd Street Construction Zone.
WisDOT Northwest Region Consultant Project Manager
WisDOT Northwest Region Project Supervisor
Christena T. O'Brien
WisDOT Northwest Region Communications Manager
(715) 833-9814, (715) 828-9471
Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT)
Northwest Region, Superior Office
1701 North 4th Street
Superior, WI 54880-1068
Phone (715) 392-7925 or toll-free (800) 590-1868
Fax: (715) 715-392-7863
WI Telecommunications Relay System (TTY): 711