COVID-19 Resources & Assistance
The Superior-Douglas County Area Chamber of Commerce continues to monitor the impact of the novel coronavirus COVID-19 on the economy as well as how it will continue to directly impact our business community in the Twin Ports. With that in mind, this page is designed to be a one-stop hub of resources and information for businesses and individuals in our region. We will continue to update this page with new information as it becomes available.
On March 24, 2020, Governor Evers announced the Safer at Home Order. The order was extended until May 26, 2020, with Emergency Order #34. Effective May 14, the Safer at Home Order and the extension was ended by the Wisconsin Supreme Court.
The Governor's Office announced a Badger Bounce Back plan on Monday, April 20, 2020. This plan lays out the milestones needed and groundwork for a phased process to reopen businesses in Wisconsin. The Wisconsin Department of Economic Development has released guidelines on safe business practices for all essential and nonessential businesses, available here.
U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) Economic Injury Disaster Loans
Economic Disaster Loan (EIDL): Funds from this loan are working capital loans to help pay other fixed debt, payroll, tax obligations and other operating expenses that will allow the business to stay in business. Processing time is taking 2-4 weeks depending on the size of the loan, so please apply early. It is recommended that you save often while applying.
- SBA Economic Injury Disaster Loan FAQ
- SBA Small Business Guidance & Loan Resources
- SBA Simpler PPP Forgiveness Loans
WEDC Small Business 20/20 Grant Program
The Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation (WEDC) created a program to provide grants to targeted businesses throughout the state. On March 17, $5 million in funding was approved for the effort to help “the smallest of the small,” known as Small Business 20/20 (SB20/20). SB20/20 will provide grants of up to $20,000 to businesses with no more than 20 employees to cover rent and to meet payroll expenses, including paid leave (including sick, family, and other leave related to COVID-19).
- WEDC COVID-19 Business Resources
- We're All In Small Business Grant Program - Deadline November 2, 2020, at 11:59 pm. Helps small businesses get back on their feet as they re-emerge from the Covid-19 pandemic and prioritizes businesses most impacted by the pandemic including restaurants and taverns.
Wisconsin Department of Tourism Grant Opportunities
- Covid-19 Movie Theater Grant Program - Deadline October 29, 2020, at 2:00 pm. Aids Wisconsin movie theater owners and operators whose operations have been negatively affected by Covid-19.
- Covid-19 Lodging Property Grant Program - Deadline October 29, 2020, at 2:00 pm. Support Wisconsin hotel and lodging facility owners whose businesses have been affected by Covid-19.
- Covid-19 Live Music and Entertainment Venue Grant Program - Deadline October 29, 2020, at 2:00 pm. Assists Wisconsin's live music and entertainment venues and operators whose operations have been negatively affected by Covid-19
The Development Association
The Business Assistance Loan Program is open to Development Association members. The goal is to provide $5,000 loans to members within a week of the application.
Wisconsin Resources for Businesses & Employers
Additional guidance and resources to help Wisconsin Businesses respond to COVID-19. Stay up to date at Wisconsin.gov as the situation progresses.
- Wisconsin Statewide Covid-19 Coronavirus Information
- Department of Health Services Covid-19 Information Page
- WEDC Reopen Guidelines
Local Resources for Businesses & Employers
Small Business Economic Relief Program - The City of Superior has developed a grant program to assist small businesses located in the City of Superior, Wisconsin.
Duluth-Superior Area Community Foundation COVID-19 NW WI Response Fund - The mission of this fund is to respond to the needs identified in our community and deploy resources to non-profit organizations at the frontlines of the COVID-19 Outbreak in Northwest Wisconsin.
On Tuesday, July 21, 2020, the City Council voted to pass a mask resolution for the City of Superior. The resolution will go into effect on Monday, July 27, 2020, and will require all individuals to wear a face-covering in indoor areas accessible to the public. You can read the full resolution here.
Other Financial Help & Guidance for Small Businesses
- CARES Act Relief Resources FAQ
- Governor Evers Suspends Utility Rules and Allows for Additional Consumer Protections
- Preventing and Managing Covid-19 Outbreaks in the Workplace Guidance for Employers
- Save Small Business Fund: A grantmaking initiative offering short-term relief for small employers in the United States and its territories.
- Wisconsin Unemployment Office: Click the link for a FAQ from the Department of Workforce Development to help answer questions for employees who may be laid off due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA): For individuals who are unemployed and otherwise not eligible for unemployment benefits.
- Facebook Small Business Grant Program: Facebook has announced $100 million grant program for small businesses being impacted by COVID-19
- IRS Coronaviurs Tax Relief: The IRS has established a special section focused on steps to help taxpayers, businesses and others affected by COVID-19
- United States Government Response to COVID-19
- 5 Ways to Retain Your Customers - Even if you need to close due to health and safety concerns, here a few ways to keep serving your customers during this COVID-19 outbreak.
- 5 tips to stay productive while working from home
Please note that during this pandemic, we have been made aware of increased efforts of scams around the lending process as well as computer viruses and hacking attempts. To reduce your risk, please note that all lending applications are free, do not need a deposit or credit card information, and there are no immediate deadlines. In addition please advise all employees to use caution while working online, only open trusted sites and attachments, use secure remote log in if possible.