Second Harvest Northern Lakes Food Bank recognizes and is ready for the need during Gov. Shutdown
The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) announced last week that important federal nutrition programs like SNAP, WIC, and school meals will be funded until the end of February. For those who benefit from SNAP in our region this means that their February benefits will be issued on or before January 20. However, it is uncertain whether the funds to fully cover their March benefits will be available.
“Second Harvest Northern Lakes Food Bank and our national network of food banks stands at the ready in any crisis and this shutdown is no different,” said Shaye Moris, Executive Director of the Second Harvest Northern Lakes Food Bank.
Second Harvest Northern Lakes Food Bank and its regional partners, including over 40 NE Minnesota and NW Wisconsin food shelves, are poised and ready to assist these public servants as well as others affected by this partial government shutdown.
While this was positive news and critical for those facing food insecurity in our region, it is essential these programs are able to operate beyond February which can only begin with the restart of our government. The immediate impact of this partial government shutdown affects the income of our region’s federal employees and contractors.
“We are very concerned about what happens to our neighbors if the shutdown persists past February. We are already receiving inquiries from affected federal employees. If programs like SNAP and WIC cannot be funded demand could exceed our capacity in the long run,” said Moris.
To locate services available in our region, people are asked to visit: northernlakesfoodbank.org/findfood or by calling (888) 727-5653.
For more information contact Shaye Moris, Executive Director, (218) 336-2300 or email@example.com.